Thursday 13 October 2011

Bye Bye Baby

Why does no-one tell you?. I was totally unprepared.

We've just taken our eldest boy to his very prestigious university. We couldn’t be more proud. For the last 2 years all our energy has gone into supporting his efforts, helping with preparations for exams, interviews, making sure he hit all the deadlines, helping with his personal statements. He worked so hard. No-one deserved success more than him. Then, offer secured and exams passed. So exciting. Champagne and celebrations. A lovely summer holiday. Lots of high jinx with his friends. Lots of smug boasting to colleagues at work. At last time to go. Deciding what to take; laughing, teasing about cooking and laundry, the price of food. Piling it all into the back of the car and off we go. Picked up his room key, marvelled at his beautiful college grounds. Chatted with the other mums and dads. So proud. So pleased. He was in his element. Glowing with excitement. Wanting us to go so he could dive right in, soak it all up.

Back in the car. Then it hit us. Out of the blue, a stomach churning jolt of dread. What was going on? I hadn't felt this bad since my first proper boyfriend dumped me when I was sixteen. That was it. We'd just said goodbye to our baby. We've done our bit, it's all in his hands now.  Half of me was saying 'For Gods sake, get a grip. He'll be back for Christmas in a few weeks. He's only 2 hours away, we can pop down and see him any time we like. We've still got the other boy at home.'  But it didn't make any difference. What I was experiencing, what we both were feeling was real grief. I was quite literally bereft. Welcome to Empty Nest Syndrome.

Quite frankly and to my shame, I think part of the problem is pure green-eyed envy. My university years were some of the best years of my life. I enjoyed every minute of them and he's got it all ahead of him. I'm so jealous!

But mostly, I'm in mourning because that time, the years watching him grow, being the most important person in his life is over and however our relationship develops in the future, it will never be the same again and I miss it.


12 comments:

  1. ack! Right to the heart. This time with our kids goes SO fast, doesn't it? Hang in there, Christmas break will come quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do sympathise. But kids start to move away from you the minute they're born, and it's part of a steady progression. This is just another step. Oh - and if he's gone where I think he's gone, mine went to one of those, and the terms are very short!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you read Fran's post today and clicked on the link to her 'Empty Nest' poem. I have no advice or experience on this which is why I didn't comment before. But Fran's poem reminded me of your predicament and will make you laugh... or cry... or both!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks two Franceses and Biro - I'm fine -rapidly coming to terms with my 'loss' Already had 2 mercy missions to take him extra duvets and emergency cake supplies and have son no. 2 at home preparing (not) for his GCSEs - so looking forward to that! Loved Frans poem - have commented on her blog. Isn't she brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is also a loss of identity. Who to be after Momhood? Your call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. could be worse......not sure my son will ever leave home!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop it already!
    That's the whole point of being a parent, they rip your heart out and then they vanish. Their laundry doesn't, unfortunately.

    I just had another look at your profile. So what exciting things have you planned for 'life after kids'?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello new followers, thanks for stopping by. Friko - I'm confused - you mean there's life after kids? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that!

    In my case, he came back in three years and moved into an extra room. :-)

    Enjoy this new stage of your life!!

    Just passing through, somehow,

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got me the other way. When my nest emptied it was woop woop time. Now I get the sigh! feeling when the tell me they're coming home.......

    Anna May x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chapter after they leave home is a very emotional one......sometimes great, sometimes a bit soppy.....but it does get better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tell me about it. I was holding it together, just about, when our youngest was getting ready to go off to uni, and then she picked up a guitar and said, 'Hey, listen to this song I've been practising.' It was Songbird by Eva Cassidy. Crikey, did I weep.

    ReplyDelete